- School Counselor
- Family Social Worker
These projections are estimates based on data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Those who are interested in counseling generally have a strong urge to help other people and inspire trust and confidence among their peers and the people they are counseling. The mental and emotional toll counseling takes on some people makes it a rewarding yet difficult field to master.
Career Options in Counseling
Associate’s degree programs for counselors can prepare them for many different career directions. Some common counseling specialties are:
- School counseling
- Student affairs counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- Geriatric or pediatric counseling
- Family and marriage therapy
- Clinical counseling
- Career counseling
Depending on the area of counseling you are pursuing, you may be taking courses within your school’s psychology department, criminal justice department, healthcare department, or another area. Some areas of counseling address destructive behaviors such as drug or substance addiction, gambling addition, and other negative life patterns. Other areas assist people in overcoming traumatic experiences such as domestic violence or abuse, while still other areas address difficult life issues such as aging, recovering from a physical injury, or choosing a new career direction.
Throughout these counseling specialties many concepts, such as communication and listening skills, ethics, and patient confidentiality will remain the same. Other concepts will vary depending on the specific associate’s degree program you are enrolled in.
Counseling Program Curriculum
The courses that make up a counseling AS or AA program can vary widely depending upon the counseling specialty you choose.
The core courses are often broken down into these eight divisions:
- Social and cultural diversity
- Group Therapy
- Relationship Therapy
- Career development
- Human growth and development
- Assessing human relationships
- Professional identity
- Program evaluation and research
Counseling Associate’s Degree Programs Enrolling Now
TCI The College of Technology
Founded in 1909 under the leadership of Nobel Prize recipient Guglielmo Marconi, TCI was a leading center for education and development in the communications industry. Later, the school was propelled forward by graduate David Sarnoff, pioneer of American commercial radio and television, and co-founder of the National Broadcasting Company (NBC).
TCI is located in the heart of New York City, directly across from Madison Square Garden and Penn Station in Manhattan. This provides easy access via train from the five boroughs of New York as well as Northern New Jersey.
For the past 13 years Community College Week has ranked TCI as one of the top 2 year colleges in America.
- New York
- Paralegal Studies
Court Reporting Institute
Your Journey Towards a New Career Begins Today!
The Court Reporting Institute focuses time, energy, and resources on providing students the finest court reporting training possible. Unlike other colleges that may offer court reporting as one of many options, our singular goal is to prepare students for careers in court reporting. We offer flexible schedules, convenient start dates, and online degree options to help new students get started today!
- St Louis
- Court Reporting
Charter College is a private, independent institution of higher education that follows a new direction. Charter College is neither a liberal arts college, a university, nor a vocational school. Instead, Charter College borrows certain elements from each of those respected educational institutions to create a unique and innovative experience for our students.
We offer career training programs in the growing fields of health care, business, law, criminal justice, information technology, and select trade careers. We strive to provide our students with a career-focused education that is both relevant in today’s workspace and cutting-edge in technology and focus.
- AS - Paralegal Studies
- Certificate - Paralegal Studies
Institute of Business & Medical Careers
IBMC College offers life-changing, accelerated career training for adult learners. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, starting a new career or an individual looking to make a change, we can help you get started training for a new,rewarding career in 19 months or less!
- Flexible class schedules – Our classes run day and evening at nearby campuses,allowing you to balance the demands of a family, job or other life responsibilities – while obtaining an education on your terms.
- Hands-on learning – You learn by doing. We focus on providing you with one-on-one instruction from experienced instructors, who work with you directly to develop your skills.
- Externship experience – Our students complete an externship within their specific program of study, providing them with valuable, real world experience.
- Job placement assistance – Job placement assistance, resume writing and professional development support is provided – giving you an edge in today’s competitive job market.
- Financial aid- Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
- Fort Collins
- Associate - Paralegal
- Certificate - Paralegal
Vista College Amarillo
Take advantage of these Vista College services:
- Day or evening classes
- Learn from industry experts
- Convenient class schedules
- Lifetime Career Services Assistance for graduates
- Financial aid available for those who qualify
- Plus much more!