- School Counselor
- Family Social Worker
These projections are estimates based on data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Those who are interested in counseling generally have a strong urge to help other people and inspire trust and confidence among their peers and the people they are counseling. The mental and emotional toll counseling takes on some people makes it a rewarding yet difficult field to master.
Career Options in Counseling
Associate’s degree programs for counselors can prepare them for many different career directions. Some common counseling specialties are:
- School counseling
- Student affairs counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- Geriatric or pediatric counseling
- Family and marriage therapy
- Clinical counseling
- Career counseling
Depending on the area of counseling you are pursuing, you may be taking courses within your school’s psychology department, criminal justice department, healthcare department, or another area. Some areas of counseling address destructive behaviors such as drug or substance addiction, gambling addition, and other negative life patterns. Other areas assist people in overcoming traumatic experiences such as domestic violence or abuse, while still other areas address difficult life issues such as aging, recovering from a physical injury, or choosing a new career direction.
Throughout these counseling specialties many concepts, such as communication and listening skills, ethics, and patient confidentiality will remain the same. Other concepts will vary depending on the specific associate’s degree program you are enrolled in.
Counseling Program Curriculum
The courses that make up a counseling AS or AA program can vary widely depending upon the counseling specialty you choose.
The core courses are often broken down into these eight divisions:
- Social and cultural diversity
- Group Therapy
- Relationship Therapy
- Career development
- Human growth and development
- Assessing human relationships
- Professional identity
- Program evaluation and research
Counseling Associate’s Degree Programs Enrolling Now
Charter College is a private, independent institution of higher education that follows a new direction. Charter College is neither a liberal arts college, a university, nor a vocational school. Instead, Charter College borrows certain elements from each of those respected educational institutions to create a unique and innovative experience for our students.
We offer career training programs in the growing fields of health care, business, law, criminal justice, information technology, and select trade careers. We strive to provide our students with a career-focused education that is both relevant in today’s workspace and cutting-edge in technology and focus.
- AS - Paralegal Studies
- Certificate - Paralegal Studies
Institute of Business & Medical Careers
IBMC College offers life-changing, accelerated career training for adult learners. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, starting a new career or an individual looking to make a change, we can help you get started training for a new,rewarding career in 19 months or less!
- Flexible class schedules – Our classes run day and evening at nearby campuses,allowing you to balance the demands of a family, job or other life responsibilities – while obtaining an education on your terms.
- Hands-on learning – You learn by doing. We focus on providing you with one-on-one instruction from experienced instructors, who work with you directly to develop your skills.
- Externship experience – Our students complete an externship within their specific program of study, providing them with valuable, real world experience.
- Job placement assistance – Job placement assistance, resume writing and professional development support is provided – giving you an edge in today’s competitive job market.
- Financial aid- Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
- Certificate - Paralegal
- Associate - Paralegal
We take YOU and your goals for success seriously at Beckfield College from the minute you first enter one of our campuses or online. We help you every step of the way, beginning with a personal interview, through financial aid, during your academic studies, and finally achieving career goals upon graduation. We get to know all of our students – by name, face and professional aspirations.
- Paralegal Studies
Thank you for your interest in City College! Our goal is to help you prepare for a successful future. Whether you are a recent high school graduate, an adult thinking about returning to college, or a military veteran seeking a new civilian career, the City College Office of Admissions will help you make the right choice for your unique situation and begin a rewarding new career fast.
- Fort Lauderdale
- Private Investigation Services
Keiser University eCampus Online
For over 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, quality career education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, healthcare and computer technology. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
- Keiser University eCampus Online
- Associate of Arts in Paralegal Studies